It’s hard to find an affordable, sturdy, nice looking kids bed. If you go affordable, it may not make it through childhood. But it’s hard to spend the money for a quality bed, when you know they will outgrow it quickly.
Have you thought about DIYing your own twin bed frame?
For about the cost of a boxspring, you can!
DIY Twin Bed Frame Features
- Very easy to build with basic tools (no pocket holes, simple cuts)
- No box spring or bed skirt needed
- Paint or stain any color – it’s solid wood, so accepts stain well
- Sturdy, solid construction is also repairable and refinishable
- Headboard design keeps pillows on the bed
- Footboard design keeps blankets from falling off the bed
- Easy to change sheets
- Lightweight and easy to move around
Twin XL Bed Frame Option
A twin XL bed frame is simply 5″ longer. This plan is easy to modify to a twin xl and directions are given in the plan.
Here’s a quick diagram for building as a daybed.
Full Size Option
For the full size option, I recommend center legs. The easiest way is to add a center cleat and then legs off it. You are just looking to take some of the weight off the center, so nothing fancy is required.
Free Plans for Twin Bed Frame