Why a Lift Top Bed?
A lift top bed is an easy way to create maximum storage in a bedroom, without the bed appearing complicated with storage drawers or shelves.
- The storage is not as easy to access as a drawer, but with the assist of the lift top hardware, it is not difficult.
- This becomes a great place to store out of season items, extra blankets, or just things that you don’t need everyday but can’t part with.
- There is also more storage in a lift top bed than a traditional captains bed or storage bed, since the entire inside of the bed is accessible.
- This bed is actually pretty easy to build too – much easier than a bed with drawers or shelves.
- It does become cumbersome to move into a room when fully completed, so do consider how you will move the bed into the room before final assembly.
Why I Built This Bed
A few years back we built a tiny house and everything inside it. Here’s the link to the loft system with bed and storage video and project and the Tiny House series if you want to catch up.
Instead of a sofa, I decided to use the foot of a bed as seating.
The bed can be pulled fully out and becomes a full size bed. So basically, it’s a trundle bed, but it is never fully pushed under the main bed.
To create storage for the bedding, the trundle bed is actually a lift top storage bed.
Here’s the video on how we built it and use it –